Always feel guilty for calling people out!

So they talked your ear off too, LOL! They keep getting worse and worse the more you describe them!

So the guy canā€™t win! Should have booked a hotel, of course. But then he wouldnā€™t have been able to make her coffee in the morning and stand gazing at the ocean in his lush toweling dressing gown telling her how special she is.

Damn, I should be a movie director.

Yeah, they were pretty awful! But I still like them better than the snooty ones that occasionally turn up.

OK, just heard my party guests coming in. A bit of noise in the street. Best get this face on:

4 Likes

@konacoconutz

He wants to ā€œknock some boots with a galā€ who is not his wife.

You come up with the darndest sayinā€™sā€¦luv it!

1 Like

@Magwitch

Oh yeahā€¦you fell into the olā€™ ā€œhow was your dayā€ trap.

Thatā€™ll learn yaā€™!

2 Likes

You should have reviewed him! Why protect him? These things need to come out sooner or later. Better the wife find out sooner so she can boot him to the curb sooner.

2 Likes

If he has just said that he and his girlfriend were coming or he and his wife, or he and his friendā€¦ that would have been a bit more direct. I have never asked if people are married or not. Not really any of my business. They are renting a room and a very enthusiastic host, but not a friend after all.

@konacoconutz

There you go againā€¦my alter ego!

@anon67190644

True, but I always require a guest to provide me with the name of the other occupant (I have a 2 person max). I donā€™t ask their relationship though they always volunteer. He said he was soloā€¦what a fibber-McGee.

1 Like

I ask for the name, but rarely get the last name. I donā€™t really careā€¦ I just want to know what to call them when they are in my home. I never have to give a second name when I check into a hotel, and it has never seemed that important.

Exactly. I just got a booking today for 2 nights from a fellow coming for work but his ā€œgirlfriendā€ lives in a town about 50 miles away. A bit of a drive each way for him to stay with her if he has to be here for work, I suppose. Or maybe something else is going on. I donā€™t care as long as they arenā€™t so noisy I canā€™t sleep and they leave the room in good shape. He has one other review from a local host and this is his second time in town for business. If heā€™s a good guest Iā€™m always happy to get regular guests.

1 Like

He could have said it was my GF. I am pretty sure I have had affairs come to my place, but as you say NOT my business, but this guy Sandy had was bad because he told her he was solo and then brought a mistress. Either get a hotel, or tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may. This is someoneā€™s HOMEā€¦ not an impersonal hotel room, where a thousand or more rendezvousā€™s have taken place before yours.

Honest to Pete, I have asked and obtained the first and last name of every occupant for the past 7 yrs. For the primary contact, I have their email, home address and preferred mobile no. ā€œwhile they are travelingā€ (thereā€™s a reason for each requirement).

I really do not have a problem getting that info, although with Air I do not seek their home address as fervently as I do on the other platforms. I have never had a Rental Agreement for STRā€™s, only the LTRā€™s, and Iā€™m sure I do a lot of things differently than others.

There is the difference. I donā€™t care about their last name, so I donā€™t insist. If I wanted it, I would get it.

This scenario happens to me all of the time ā€“ Iā€™m cleaning an Iā€™m a bit peeved that their luggage left marks on the walls and furniture; or, they didnā€™t take out the garbage as stated on the check-out sheet; or something similar. Itā€™s usually an annoyance when I walk in but when I get home and have to write the review, I start thinking about the traveler and I soften. Unless it was something that was done out of pure carelessness, I let it slide. Things happen. And, what the hell, I just made hundreds of dollars. So, I end up writing a great review. My negative reviews are for things like going into the attic (which is against the house rules) and letting the attic door slam close, thus breaking the ladder ā€“ and not telling me about it! (yes, I got compensation for that one). If I allowed animals (which I donā€™t), I would have called that woman out on her behavior on not controlling her dog (negligence). I applaud all of you who do a shared space on Air. I donā€™t think I could.

2 Likes

How can you be friends with someone like that? If she disrespects your house and your animals it is only a matter of time before she disrespects you.

I know youā€™ve all been on tenterhooks wondering what happened (lol) so youā€™ll be glad to know that it was local drunks being friendly and making sure guests got home safely. Mamma Kray face was saved for another day.

2 Likes

I think the American spelling of that is tenderhooksā€¦ but I think the original is from Shakespeare! Now I have to look it up!

Phrases that people get wrong See The Phrases That People Get Wrong
We are also onā€¦

On tenterhooks

Meaning

In a state of uncomfortable suspense.

Origin

On tenterhooksTenterhooks arenā€™t connected with tents, nor are they the hooks used by butchers, as the common misspelling ā€˜tenderhooksā€™ might suggest. A tenter is a wooden frame, often in the form of a line of fencing, used to hang woollen or linen cloth to prevent it from shrinking as it dries. The tenterhooks are, not surprisingly, the hooks on the tenter used to hold the cloth in place.

Tenters are no longer everyday objects but a hundred years ago, in wool weaving areas like the North of England, they were a common sight on the land around the many woollen mills, called ā€˜tenter-fieldsā€™. It is easy to see how the figurative expression ā€˜on tenterhooksā€™, with its meaning of painful tension, derived from the ā€˜tentingā€™ or stretching of fabric. The expression was originally ā€˜on the tentersā€™. The English West Country playwright John Ford was the first to record that expression in the play Broken Heart, 1633:

Passion, O, be contained. My very heart strings Are on the Tenters.

ā€œA state of uncomfortable surpriseā€ can apply to a host of ABB situations! :laughing:

4 Likes