Airbnb is allowing unlimited kids under 2 for FREE!

@cabinhost The guest has to initiate the request. However the host can cancel penalty free if they use the excuse that the guest is making them uncomfortable.

I would just say that I donā€™t allow small children in the description somewhere, nicely.

Perfect place for adult or older children to vacation, but not for under x years.

You didnā€™t read, I puthink limitations but airbnb overrode my house rules.

So my listing are currently at ā€œmay or may not be suitable for childrenā€.

If someone wants to book with children, they are told two things right at the start.

One - I have a large dog. He starts barking at about 5am to be let outside. If this is going to wake up your child, itā€™s better to find a different Airbnb. (I have also mentioned this in the description of my listing so no one can say they have not been given notice.)
Two - I also tell them that I work two jobs and also am in school (all true!). I wake up early and go to bed early. Sleep is MAJORLY important to me and if their child is going to be up crying in the middle of the night, keeping me awake, itā€™s going to reflect negatively in the review of their stay.

I lay it all out on the table for them. If they choose to stay, itā€™s on their head.
Either the kids have been older (5-7ish) or they have found other accommodations.

Iā€™m coming in late to this chat, so if under 2ā€™s are free do the parents bring the beds and bedding for them and sleep them in their room? I have 3 rooms, one which I can lock if not being used, the other with 2 singles, that if not paid for I donā€™t put linen on the beds, so where do the children sleep, in BYO portal cots?

1 Like

What we do is the parent has to bing the baby cot and all bedding if they don t want to pay.

If they want our baby bed and everything they have to pay.

1 Like

Air will probably add to their next terms and conditionsā€¦that all family friendly listings must provide high chairs, play pens, cordless blinds, etc.

1 Like

I like that. Iā€™m going to remember that for the future because I had decided once to let a child stay free, but then there I was carting up a portacrib and making the bed and such.

It drives me nuts that I still canā€™t see this option, but that probably people looking to book with me will have the option. What web browser are people using when they see this? Iā€™ve tried Safari and Chrome.

I use Google Chrome.

@cabinhost. Sorry, did not see this. It may be the guest has to initiate this changeā€¦but it does existā€¦have had to use it to get a refund for a guest leaving early.

aj - I am not talking about altering a reservation.

I am referring to whether or not the guest or the host has the ability to alter the number of guests BEFORE a reservation is accepted.

If someone does know how to do this, I would appreciate the steps. But two Air reps. told me this could not be done, and if I wanted the reservation to reflect the total number of guests, then the guest would need to cancel and resubmit a new request.

I would prefer to ask a guest to change their guest count, rather than sending a special offer with a higher rate.

Today I got a request for my large appartment that can hold 16 guests.

They want to book with 16 adults and 6 infants (3 - 18 monts)ā€¦ they ask if my place would be suitable.

HELL NO!!!

I am not going to host 6 infants. Besides all the obvious concers that infants bring, this would also mean that at least half of these guests would be hanging aroung the house all day.

It would bring over 5k in one single booking, but it is not worth the hassle.

3 Likes

Oh geez Chris! And I still donā€™t consider a walking toddler (getting into everything) to be an infant.

I wonder how many of those ā€œinfantsā€ were over the age of the two.

That is another concern with infants to about age four. Parents hang around the house much more and go places much less!

Hey, it happened to me! An IB booking for two adults and an infant. It is in my listing in three different places.

Other Things to Note:
ā€œB. Children are enthusiastically welcome and are considered ā€˜peopleā€™. They must be included in your guest count.ā€

House Manual:

• Every person, regardless of age, counts as a person. We do not allow infants to stay for free. We allow only a total of 6 people, regardless of age.

Additional Rules:

• We charge for every person, regardless of age. We accept ONLY 6 humans total, regardless of their ages. Do not book our rooms if you are bringing more than 6 humans of any age. Enter every person, of any age, into the guest count.

Silly me - I assumed no one would ignore all three statements.

I do have a weird feeling about this guest, though they have 3 glowing reviews. They sent me a huge long message about how wonderful they are, and their profile gushes about how respectful they are of other peopleā€™s spaces.

But hereā€™s the weirdest - his profile says ā€œwe are very committed to the work we do in Higher Education and Businessā€. And thatā€™s his employer name ā€œHigher Education and Businessā€. I googled that and it doesnā€™t come up as anything.

Maybe itā€™s because of the crazy election here in the US my radar is more up than usual. Plus they ignored all that in my listing. Plus Iā€™m tired and cranky and need to prepare for a class I teach tomorrow on a subject I have little interest in, lol!!!

ALSO - re: instant book - I use it and it has been great, but I require a government ID to be submitted. However, Mr. Guest has no government ID verified. So I called airbnb and they said itā€™s a glitch in their system - that guests in the US can either submit ID or answer questions - since he did the latter he is considered ā€˜clearedā€™ though he doesnā€™t meet my requirement for IB, he could IB.

All those who want to say ā€œI told you soā€ please do so now. However, we donā€™t have to discuss the merit of having a government ID verified - right - itā€™s my thing. I like my thing. Oh, and we donā€™t have to argue again about the merit of charging for infants - thatā€™s also my thing. Iā€™ll listen to them scream, risk my linens to overflowing diapers, and take the trash out every day to get rid of the nasty diapers, but I ainā€™t doinā€™ it for free.

Actually Iā€™m not going to do it anymore in any case - Iā€™ve turned off infants ok
; )

3 Likes

I just sent the guest a message copying the three places in my listing. Will be curious how he responds.

1 Like

Do you charge an extra guest fee after 2 guests ?

I mean, itā€™s not really your guestā€™s fault as Air asked him how many adults/kids/infants, and itā€™s Air, not the guest, who wonā€™t count infants as a guest (but your guest could be weird anyway !). Your guest may even believe that the extra guest fee was included in the total as this fee is never detailed in the breakdown (Air includes extra guest fees in the nightly rate).

A host on the French CC said that an Air employee told him to charge extra guest fees for infants through the resolution center. I would just send a request to modify the reservation with the updated total for 3 guests.

1 Like

I agree with @Barthelemy. The guest is just picking the option offered to him that best describes his party. I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they arenā€™t trying to purposely work around your rules.