Airbnb is allowing unlimited kids under 2 for FREE!

I tried in several other states and the only thing I saw different in one was a check box for “are you bringing a pet?”

1 Like

Even when I searched in LA with “kid/family friendly” all I saw was a checkbox for “are you bringing a pet” and it was on a place where it said “not suitable for pets”.

1 Like

@Sarah_Warren This is what I am getting in my anonymous browser.

3 Likes

What a liability nightmare. This may very well ensure that hosts who currently allow children/infants will remove this option. I am so glad that we do not currently allow children, removing the instant book option for people with dozens of free infants.

1 Like

The other part of this “issue” is that Airbnb has unilaterally decided that children under 2 will be free. We invest in items for families that stay with us: shatterproof dishes, childrens movies, toys, games, books, sleds, toddler bed & playpen.

As well, anyone who has raised children or cleaned up after a toddler has been around for awhile knows that there will be sticky hand prints everywhere that need extra cleaning on departure.

It should be the owners decision how much they charge for children staying in their home. I’m sure it will be surprising how many 4 foot+ 2-year olds show up.

4 Likes

How timely! I had a guest check out yesterday who had booked for herself and her mother. When they came to return the key I noticed she had a 2 year old with her. Nothing had been mentioned about the child which I thought was odd and if people are bringing a small child (which I allow) I like to know so that I can let them know about stairs, the pool etc.

Perhaps this new rule meant my guest decided she didn’t need to tell me.

I’ll send Airbnb some feedback too.

2 Likes

OM freaken G. I just went to air as a potential guest, to my small room that is set for one guest only. I searched as one guest and two infants and my place came up in the search. The fact that Air lets a guest even see it is absurd.

When I searched as two guests and as one adult and one child, the room did not come up.

My listing is marked No under suitable for infants and under suitable for children.

There is no place in that tiny room to put a crib, and I wouldn’t anyway. 23 month old kids are very active, into everything, and sometimes tall enough to reach the doorknob. What a nightmare.

WTF.

2 Likes

This is my concern exactly. If a toddler went through the external door of our rental it would be on a second floor walkway. Sure, there’s a railing but a little kid could still fall over the edge if it was a climber (as most young kids are).

If the kid avoided falling over the railing then a few steps would take it to a flight of external stairs which they could easily fall down. Assuming the kid negotiated the stairs and got down to the ground floor then it’s only another few steps to the canal.

Scary.

1 Like

Before renting, I never really knew how many parents do not make sure their environment is safe kids. I was amazed when I would glance on camera and see new guests arrive, kids jump out of the car and sprinting around, climbing the sides of the waterfall, etc. and parents not doing a damn thing!

Who just lets their kids run around outside a private home, without first seeing what kind of hazards might exist? The rocks on the waterfall have a slick coating so the water rolls off of it. I finally had to put it in my house notes that under no circumstances is anyone in the group to be climbing the sides, standing at the top, etc. - it’s dangerous. Sheesh!!

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely don’t have that!

What’s crazy to me is that I’m searching the same areas you’ve mentioned and I see just # of guests and some of you see other options. Does that mean that anywhere you search you can use those infant/children options? Try St. Louis, MO. Because it seems like it’s totally random as a searching feature which means it could apply anywhere those people are searching. So it’s something all of us need to be aware of even if we can’t search that way.

Yes, it shows for me in St. Louis, MO. I chose a listing with a max of 2 guests, and it had the “may not be suitable for children under 2” - it was an instant book property.

It allowed me to book for 2 adults, 2 infants and gave me the message I couldn’t instant book but I could send a reservation request.

I am on a regular computer. Are you using a regular computer?

Also, the tiny arrow to the right end of the guest box may be sensitive, so it is not doing anything. Try to click right in front of the arrow, all around it, etc. And then give it a few seconds and see if eventually shows the other options.

I’ve tried multiple browsers and multiple locations and it’s just showing # of guests for me. It looks different than the example above. I have noticed other changes though lately, so they’re probably testing all kinds of different things…

Wow. Yes. I have a one bedroom/queen private room, not suitable for children, 2 guests max. I logged out of my acct and changed browsers. Found my own listing and it seemed there would be no problem Instant Booking for 1 adult and 3 infants. My listing also popped up in search when I put in dates and specified one adult and 3 infants.

This is very, very bad. On so many levels.

7 Likes

Hi,I tried my listing which is maximum 5 people and it allowed me to add 4 infants!!I do not know where they would sleep.This is not good!!

2 Likes

What’s this! Housing people for free? Did not sign up for that… must protest!

3 Likes

What’s most bothersome to me is, unless I missed it, AirBnB hasn’t communicated anything regarding this change.

If they want to make us take infants, they certainly cannot make us do it for free. There are real costs involved in hosting any living creature. Not to mention the inconvenience factor of a crying baby.

1 Like

Their answer is just to note it in your house rules. Since most guests don’t read house rules, then have guest cancel the booking request, and submit a new one with all guests counted as adults.

If Air really cared how this affects hosts and disappointed travelers, then they would give us all the option to select if under 2 is free or not. Just like how there is a field to charge additional guests. Then those listing who want to take under 2 for free can do so. Hell - let hosts charge 5 and under for free if that’s what they really want.

I dont see anywhere on any listing where is mentions how many children I want to bring? It just has the drop down thing for number of guests. IF the listing has a 2 guest max, then the drop down only goes to 2. What am I missing here?

Sarah was reporting the same thing, that she doesn’t see it.

Have you clicked all around the guest field box - in front of the arrow, around it, etc.?

Try a new screen in incognito mode (Ctrl N) and see if that shows it. It’s possible they are still testing, and you are being shown an old version, and some of us are seeing the new one. I don’t know if that is even possible in the software world