Airbnb backing the guest over host

I’d know because someone would come in here or in the community centre and say; there’s been a chargeback problem. Chargebacks are a regular occurrence that don’t just occur when booking on sites like Airbnb. They are part of taking credit card payments and any vendor who takes credit card also has to deal with chargebacks. My guess is there’s some sort of industry insurance against them…

But if Air is saying that they will not share the information if a guest does a chargeback - then there is no way to know. In my last post I said the rep. said they will not share that info with the host. So not following the logic of how a host is going to come on here and report about something they are not privy to.

Example - guest wants a refund for whatever crazy reason after their stay. Air asks host for their side of the story. Then Air tells the guest “sorry no refund.” So then the guest says “well I will just file a chargeback with my bank” or the guest just goes ahead and files the chargeback.

So then…Air mysteriously sides with the guest while not really giving any logical explanation to the host. The host will never know that Air made the decision because Air is going against their word that they will eat the chargeback. Instead they might be just be taking it out of future host payouts instead.

There was another recent post where a guest stayed for months and then complained to Air about things that were not that big of an issue. Yet the guest kept renewing and paying for the accommodation month after month. Then Air sided with the guest and took an enormous amount from the host. No real explanation. None of it made sense.

Different time frames though @cabinhost

chargebacks can occur up to 120 days (and I think my credit card allows 4 months) after the original transaction. Guest claims against hosts happen instantly or very soon after the booking. I have yet to hear of Airbnb coming to a host months after the fact saying : oh actually we’re going to take your money because ermmm guest complaint.

No, I am not referring to those instances… And I am not referring to ALL chargebacks potentially filed.

I am only referring to the ones made shortly after guest stay and guest isn’t getting their way… so they threaten and Air gives in, or guest goes right to their bank and files immediately. Air receives notice and then changes their story to the host.

Air used to say once the host received their payout then they are good to go. But apparently not true. Actually the part is true that they technically won’t take the money back from your account. But the fact that they will take it from future payouts is the same thing. Just a matter of semantics.

Just an update:- I have rung airbnb now and explained everything. I have managed to get the case reopened and a different case manager assigned. Hoping that this will actually result in someone calling or contact me to get my side of the story this time. May not result any differently which will be sad for other hosts as it will set presidence (probably already has which is why it happened to me). At least this time I am better prepared with all the information now. Wish me luck.:neutral_face:

2 Likes

I’ve had this happen to me twice. One time a guest went into a private area (dog kennel) and took pictures saying this was my “house”. Another wrote a review stating my house was filthy, I had bugs, never mopped etc. which was all untrue. Neither got reimbursed, but I have dings on my reviews. Fortunately, I have enough good reviews to counteract. They both wanted free stays. I also had a guest threaten me with bad reviews and complained about everything … even complained about way I put garbage liners in the garbage can. There are just weird people in the world. Move on.

1 Like

I get this time and time again with ABB and I am a superhost. ABB has even let the guest choose what damages they would pay and denying the rest with photographic proof of said damages provided.
I firmly believe ABB sides with the guest to not leave a bad taste in their mouth and come back while turning their backs on the very people that make their business possible.
I feel for you at least once a couple of months.

1 Like

@Jamr. Oh dear, thats aweful. I must admit I have been very lucky until now. I just don’t want the woman getting away with it as she will shorely do this to others, if she hasn’t already. If it happens to you often, this is a clear indication that the word is out how easy it is to rort the airbnb system. I havent had this issue with the www.stayz.com.au (global Home and Away booking system) ever and I don’t think they are as good as airbnb in the way they run things (probably more open to rorting) however I get the sense that they would side with host over guest.

@Jamr. But totally agree with your comment. We are their bread and butter. Without us, they don’t get to charge the guest, but guess they figure we won’t close down because of a view charges and bad reviews.

@Julie_Wehmeyer :angry::disappointed: ::frowning:

Well it seems there is no winning this one. Less than 12 hours after I had the case reopened, I received the usual generic automated response closing the case again. I received no phone call or email asking my opinion. Not been provided with any other proof of what she claims (even though I can proof alot to the contrary but am not been given the opportunity). So bitterly disappointed in what seems to be an awesome booking site.:scream::grimacing::confused::angry:

Telma P, Oct 21, 12:07 PDT:
Hello
Tania,
My
name is Telma and I hope this email finds you well.
I’ve
checked the situation and Bernadette is not asking any further refund. The
Resolution Center case is now closed and no further adjustments will be made
regarding this matter.
The
previous case manager has made a decision on this case and we will disengage
from further discussion on this topic.
Please
let me know if I can give you any further assistance.
Regards,
Telma
P

www.airbnb.com/help

CASE CLOSED I GUESS :unamused:

Well that’s a bit contradictory. First they will disengage and then offer the boilerplate, " let me know, if I can be of further assistance in this matter."

And NO! HELL NO, this email does not find me well!!!

Urggh. They are maddening at times!

2 Likes

My reply. I am a bit over it all now. I just hope it doesnt happen again. Very disheartened.

Wow. Less than 12 hours to close the case again with no
correspondence from Airbnb to me at all. That’s a completely one sided
opinion you have there. I have since been able to collate a sizeable
about of information against this womans claims however, you seem determined
_not to allow me the right to defend myself. _

_ _

Its terrible business edicate from Airbnb. You rely on us
as hosts to provide you the opportunity to make money, however you treat us
_like we are the criminals. _

_ _

I am deeply disgusted as to how I have been treated and how this
appears to be a common issue with Airbnb hosts being victimised by guests
rorting the system. This is clearly a serious issue (as can be seen on
_the Airbnb forums from other hosts). _

_ _

You seriously need to readdress how you treat your hosts and put
more measures in place so that we can protect ourselves from these people.

_ _

Pull up your socks Airbnb. Open your eyes.

1 Like

I think what Airbnb is trying to do is perhaps become a big company with a very risky original idealistic model, which may have started with way too many pins in the air at once from the start (i.e. its own review system and Resolution Center). Of course, they did some of these moves to leapfrog the existing competition (Trip Advisory and Homeaway, etc.). You can’t get into the field without offering more at first.

Perhaps in time, their model is proving too complex and it is dragging the company to get way too deeply involved in the relationship between host and guests which undoubtedly it may be proving too impossible to pull off to the consistent satisfaction of both.

To the matter at hand: I would first hire only quick-minded Resolution Center individuals, well trained collectively to lessens the stupidity and inconsistency. I would also start valuating Hosts and Guests by a ‘point merit system’ so the personnel has an idea who they are dealing with when presented with a conflict between the two. Not all hosts or guests are the same, needless to say. The benefit of the doubt should be given to hosts with a high rating (good reviews, good history and low maintenance = good for business).

Meantime, I got my own problems; yesterday I finally build a high, over-the-water aviary for the pelicans, frigate birds and booby birds so they can perch high and not all try to fit in the one tree remaining; they love it, about 30 came to roost on it yesterday at dusk; BUT the plovers and arctic terns hate it because they want their own low separate one and just over the water (only 2 feet high), which is today’s project. Hard to keep everyone happy. :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Plovers are a demanding bird. They collectively close down the outer Cape beaches every summer!

They are something. A big group came at dusk, like 20, landed on the new aviary, immediately started one big loud argument, all chirping and hopping and showing general disapproval. The leader must have made a declaration - “This platform totally sucks and we are going back to the island itself”. They took off all at once and all landed only a a few away from me, and waited patiently for me to leave, with quite a huffy air.

2 Likes

I suggest you find someone higher up in the food chain to appeal to.

1 Like

So Bernadette is the name of the guest I take it?? This is the type of bullshit correspondence that makes me lose my mind. Of course the guest is not asking for a further refund. The guest got what she wanted. I hate it that these companies train the reps. to reply in stupid lanaguage.

So you did or didn’t submit your new proof? You need to take it to Twitter. Did you ask them why she was allowed to stay for 3 days and not be out upon arrival? When did she initially call Airbnb? Was it within the 24 hrs.? Did she ever cancel her reservation immediately?

2 Likes

They winter in Hawaii. I love their sounds.

I’ve had something similar happen to me once. Luckily it was for my guest room rental and I was in the house. The guest and her girlfriend came down from LA. She told me ahead of time she wanted to cook a special birthday meal for her because they don’t have a kitchen in their apartment at home. Sure, no big deal. It was a Monday night and I was more than happy to not use my kitchen that day. When they arrived from the grocery I left the main room and went to my bedroom to give them privacy. They commented on how lovely my home was and how happy they were to stay. The next morning I got a message from them that they’d found a bed bug in the room. I freaked out. This is my ultimate nightmare. She included a photo and video. It was definitely the room in my house. I apologize profusely and offer to refund her money. She says it’s not a big deal, don’t freak out, we get them in LA all the time. Go buy this, from Walmart, it will help kill them, etc. I’m calling exterminators at this point and wondering if I need to cancel the next booking. About an hour later she texts me from her phone and asks when I’m going to refund her money. At this point I’m a bit suspicious. I thoroughly clean the room myself between each guests. The sheets, walls, and furniture are all light colored neutral. From what I’m reading about bedbugs I should be able to see them if they’re there. I have a mattress cover, zippered covers on all the pillows. Every linen is washed between guests. I tell her I’ll paypal her the $60 back. She insists I use Venmo or the Cash app. When I message her through Airbnb mail, she insists we talk only through direct text. She says once she receives her money she’ll make sure to leave me a great review. At this point, I’m pretty sure she’s either staged the bedbug or it arrived with her. I send her the refund rather than risk a bad review that mentions bedbugs. That would kill any future business for me. I’m sure I got hustled. The next month I’m lifting up the mattress and crawling on the carpet looking for any sign of bedbugs. I never saw anything. There are people out to get a free stay.

1 Like