Airbnb backing the guest over host

Saying that it is an insult to be greeted by a specific group of people is saying that those people are lesser than the people who “should” be doing the greeting.

Sorry Ellen, I think I was in a grumpy mood :slight_smile:

I think I interpreted your comment as meaning that ‘cleaners’ are often ethnic or ‘lower class’. Apologies if I read that wrongly.

1 Like

That is exactly what I was saying. I was saying that it is bigoted to say that it is insulting to be greeted by people of a different ethnicity than the hosts or a different level of education. My point was that everyone is equal and there is no group of people that it is insulting to be greeted by.

But aren’t you assuming that a cleaner is a) of a different race and b) that they have a low level of intelligence?

1 Like

No, I am assuming that the person who said that it is insulting to be greeted by a cleaner is assuming both of those things. That’s why I said that it is not insulting. I don’t care about the ethnicity and/or education level of the person who greets me and I think it’s wrong to do so. The only requirement to be a competent greeter is familiarity with the property.

Uh, Ellen, she apologized. Let it rest.

1 Like

And then she criticized me again. Also, if you don’t sign my paycheck you don’t get to tell me what to do.

Huh? … hmmmm…oooo-kay.

2 Likes

I can see a few possibilities
a) complacency from your part because you’ve been doing for so long:

• Wasn’t clean
  • No internet
  • Bad sheets/towels
  • A belief that ‘calling the cleaner’ is acceptable trade of for an unclean apartment
  • A new guest on Airbnb will need extra, not less attention and help (unfortunately)
  • Customer Satisfaction = Customer Expectations vs Perceived Service Quality. Have a read of this. Have noticed the same phenomenon that most reviews are actually polite, not actual feedback. Maybe this was the first honest in a while.

b) Miscommunication:

c) Unfair Review: If it is truly unfair you may be able to contact Airbnb and get it removed: http://www.airhostsforum.com/t/400-completed-trips-superhost-status-and-now-today-my-first-bad-review-and-how-i-got-it-removed/2736

@stephencirving. In response to a) - definately not. b) i don’t feedback as long as its true and fair c) bit hard when airbnb are not entering into discussions with you.

BTW: latest review is a far cry from the bad one received from the bad guest.

“The house was very stylish. The instructions were
clear and accurate which allowed us to settle in straight away. It is only two
houses away from the beach. The house was clean and contained a number of board
games, movies, and magazines for us to enjoy. I would definitely stay here
again. ”

2 Likes

@cabinhost - I tried posting on airbnb company fb page as you suggested. Have you noticed that the only way you can comment is to comment on an advertisement or someone elses comment because they vet all direct posts. I have posted twice and neither posts have been put up. There is no way to message them on there either. So that leaves twitter, which I don’t have, nor really want just for this as clearly this was never going to end favorably. They seem to have the system all stitched up so regardless of whether you are a guest complaining or a host, it works in their favor. There are certainly a lot of disgruntled people out there. Its really opened my eyes.:weary:

1 Like

Lol, isn’t that a bit contradictory? Don’t contact us again about this/contact me if I can be of further help! How frustrating for you

2 Likes

Very rediculous!!
I had the similar experience …
when my guest came in i gave hime a tour of evrything including the Fire Alarm silence button and told him use the button if sth happened and set off alarm … the day after my guest put some eggs to boil and went sleep … the eggs burnt and fire alam starts beeping but he just ignores to press the silence button … until fire fighters come in while he was in the bedroom … they have charged me $1200 and airbnb believes it is NOT the guest’s responsibility to cover that!!! I don’t know what to say and what to do … !!!

3 Likes

Hi Bparsa, I’m sorry to hear this happened to you. I’m very afraid similar things would happen to me so I put a careful instruction telling guests what to do if fire alarm is set off by cooking (no real fire). I also said if guest didn’t silent it in such case, they need to pay for the bill.
Now I’m worried the instruction is useless, and if such thing occurs at my property, and guest refuses to pay, Airbnb will side with them :frowning:

3 Likes

It might be that you need to put better ventilation in the kitchen, or move smoke alarm. I had problems like this and ventilation helped.

How could it possibly not be the guest’s fault if they fell asleep while cooking? That is extremely dangerous behaviour!

5 Likes

You cannot imagine that i had also a clear instruction and the location of the silence button in my house info section!!! It is rediculous that still Airbnb believe it s not the guest’s fault! …
It was in my house info and i showed him in person … he was in the bedroom and just ignored the annoying beep … until neighbours call the management and they comes in!!! Still Airbnb believe it s not his responsibilitiy!!!
I believe u should increase the deposit value and never ever set up instant booking, so you would be able to choose right guests!

1 Like

Specially when u give them an in-person tour about this button and advise them to press it if sth happened!! It’s location is also in my house info!!!

Still airbnb is letting them to escape from their clear fault!!

1 Like

If my guest had tried to turn it off or asking me how to do it i would say u r right …
he fully ignored it untill smoke reached the common area of the building and activated the main fire alarm which will inform fire department automatically !!!

Hi @Bparsa, again I feel so sorry you have to go through this sh*t situation. We don’t have enough protection by renting our property on Airbnb. Many areas are grey and no clear law to protect hosts/guests in many countries. I feel your pain because im currently dealing with an unreasonable and lying guest, and Airbnb asked me to provide many documents and some are impossible to obtain without spending $200-300 in my country, the thing is the damaged dryer only cost $398, and two out of the three service person I contacted suggested me to get a new dryer, don’t bother fixing the old one (Australian labour cost is very expensive).

I think we as host, have to eat the cost sometimes when irresponsible guests rent our property. I do IB because it improves my booking significantly. I require all guests with good reviews to be able to IB my place. Many guests from IB are actually good, but bad ones can still be there, because they could be nice guests until accidents happen. You can’t discover how bad a person can be before you have to open a case against them.

We either bear with all the unfairness or we quit. But I believe things will become better and laws covering short term rental will be refined.