Air host pushes guest down a flight of stairs

Seeing as this is not a tragedy and everyone survived, maybe we can make our own headlines?

“What to do when your guest stays past check-out and, most importantly, clearly didn’t use the top sheet - outrageous!” Various host fora and Facebook groups.

“PC gone mad again. Guest trips downstairs after drug-fuelled orgy and claims it’s racism!” The Sun / Fox news

“Woman traumatised for life by vicious racist attack- is the Netherlands a hotbed of facists?”. The Guardian

4 Likes

“Dutch stairs are CRAZY steep! Man, how do those people manage?? One star rating for sure” Reddit

I’m not trying to minimise the incident. It’s an effort to circumvent the inevitable comments excusing the host’s behaviour with some humour. The incident is gaining a lot of traction across the media.

2 Likes

I don’t really enjoy it when guests want to hug me goodbye. I would NEVER actually initiate physical contact.

Humor aside, I need to read these reports, but there is really no reason that I can imagine that a host should ever become violent with a guest, or a guest should become violent with a host. Violence is easy to identify. Some other types of aggression is harder.

2 Likes

What a terrible incident, for everyone involved.

“It has been reported that a female guest at an airbnb rental had an accident in Amsterdam. Some are saying that it might be racially motivated. Others are denying the claim.
Meanwhile, on the Archers Lilian has had one too many again…”. BBC

Someone tell me to stop, please!

3 Likes

Stop whenever inspiration abandons you!

1 Like

The interesting thing is that the foreign (read American) media spins this into a racism thing instead of a bad host thing.

The “victim” overstayed (by several hours) and refused to leave because they behaved very entitled because they were working for an exhibition by Zanele Muholi.
The host made a mistake by pushing the guest, and anyone knowing the stairs in those old houses in Amsterdam knows that these are very narrow and steep. And even touching someone on those stairs is dangerous.

4 Likes

He should of called the cops and got her out that way and then a big thumbs down on the review.

3 Likes

I’m sure the host was mentally ill not saying it was OK to do that though !

I do not think he was mentally ill, just frustrated by an arrogant entitled guest that broke the houserules.

6 Likes

The victim is a victim not a “victim”. The host didn’t make a mistake. He deliberately committed assault/attempted murder.

1 Like

If he responds to frustration with assault/attempted murder at the very least he has major anger management issues.

He did not deliberately commit an assault or attempted murder.
That is the bullshit the media makes off this.

The host pushed her, she lost her balance en fell down the stairs. He did not push her with the intention of her falling down the stairs.

What the host did was wrong, but some people can be very verbally abusive and make people lose their temper.

5 Likes

Yes, he did deliberately commit assault/attempted murder. She was bracing herself against the wall. He pried her off the wall and threw her down the stairs. I didn’t see any verbal abuse on her part in the video. You are trying to justify the host’s horrific actions.

He totally lost it but I don’t think he meant for her to fall down the stairs, you can hear the shock in his voice when he races down the stairs and calls for someone to ring an ambulance.

Thankfully the guest only needed a short time in hospital and she was released.

The guests were a pain in the backside, still there 2 hours after check out, but needs to be handled much better by a host.

4 Likes

I am shocked and dismayed by all the apologists for the host who committed this vile act. If he didn’t want her to fall down the stairs he shouldn’t have pried her away from the wall and pushed her.

Why do people here and on other boards think it’s okay to assault/attempt to murder someone because they are a “pain in the backside”? That is the excuse that spousal abusers and child abusers use.

Gosh yes - I fell down a few steps in a hostel in Amsterdam once. Had a bit of a laugh but certainly was not pushed.

You’re doing a lot of spinning yourself there. How do you know they refused to leave? How do you know “they behaved entitled because they were working for an exhibition”? You don’t. You’re making assumptions and then projecting your own attitude in refusing to believe a victim’s assertion that there was a racially motivated aspect to the case. Essentially, you’re calling her a liar even though you have no evidence.

I feel another headline coming on…

4 Likes

It is sadly very common in the “host community” so no surprise to me. Have you ever read some of the stuff in the airbnb Community Centre? Some crazy stuff in there.

I am shocked and dismayed. I am sadly not surprised. However, I believe that it is important to call out bigotry wherever one sees it even if one sees it all the time. To bigotry no sanction.

It’s clear to me that if a guest who had to wait two hours for a host to arrive pushed the host down the stairs reactions on this board would be very different. Also, it’s clear to me that if the exact same scenario happened to anyone who posts on this board or one of their loved ones they’d be calling for a long jail sentence for the host. It’s only because the victim is black that so many people are doing mental gymnastics to figure out how they can lay the blame on her in their minds. Sickening.

1 Like