Air BnB NOT on the guest's side in this case

I just spoke with the guest by phone. Location was correct, but the street number host provided did not exist. Guest very familiar with Montreal. Attempted to contact host. No response. Contacted Air. Air unable to contact host. Waiting for that connection. No offer from Air to rehouse Finally Air reaches host who cancelled on basis on “family emergency”. Air offers to assist guest in getting refund from host!! How can host have payout on check in day? Guest requests rehousing. Air says will call you back. Does not call. Guest on hold for 30 minutes then disconnected. Guest gives up and books hotel. Calls Air the next day requesting refund including hotel costs. Air says maybe to hotel, up to host for refund. Email from Air re check out time, so host did not cancel.

Host did not respond to any communication throughout. All communication through Air Platform…

Since then, endless phone calls and emails. No resolution. Went to Air Facebook page and have now been promised a full refund of Air and Hotel costs. Expects it will come through this week. Time elapsed 6 wees!
Unlikely to use Air again

So, I am with the guest on this. She was extremely credible. I think she got worse than usual service from Air. When they are bad, they are dreadful.

6 Likes

OMG! That’s horrible! Thanks so much, Martha, for providing the full details and CrownTown for the great investigative works! This forum is more exciting that the “Crime Investigation Channel”!

Well, you sure as hell wouldn’t use AirBNB after an experience like that.

1 Like

Unfortunately this sounds like Airbnb customer service. I’ve had some bizzare conversations with them, most notably when I recently had guests smoking in the flat. They were insistent that if I cancelled the booking based on the breaking of house rules the guest would get a full refund due to my cancellation. So yes I believe this story it’s very credible.

1 Like

A bit tangential to original post, but FYI, Airbnb has buried the directions written by the host. I had one poor guest who came in from China, didn’t have GPS in the rent-a-car, didn’t have local data yet on his phone. The poor guy. I stayed on the phone with him for 1/2 hour trying to guide him to my house. Instead of blaming him for not reading my directions, I investigated trying to find them, and realized it’s yet another bizarre move on Airbnb’s part to stuff them into an illogical place. They used to just send them in a confirmation email.

No I don’t believe they ever did.

Secondly was your guest trying to find the address on a mobile phone ? Because yes it’s more difficult to find it when you’re not sat at a desktop and the reason I took to writing addresses down on paper as a back up when travelling.

I can fully believe that airbnb would take this position and it makes my blood boil.