A stripped bed means

Does it? I used it once as a bathroom cleaner and was worthless. Good to know it works better on laundry.

1 Like

So which is it againthat works best on laundry stains, the gold marmite or the xo marmite?!!!

5 Likes

Yes! not enough characters

Please add me for podcast. Robneundorf@gmail.com

1 Like

Hi Rob - I think you need to subscribe yourself or do you want me to subscribe you to my newsletter? You can do it at > The Hosting Journey.

Is that blood? I provide tampons and pads in the bathroom for emergency use and because we are in the country and there are no 24/7 pharmacies. In one case the guests had taken off a blood spotted sheet and hidden it in the quilt cover. I didn’t notice it for a while so never found out who did it. I suspected some guests who asked to stay later so I said okay but were still there when I got back at 3pm and didn’t leave till 5pm. They probably didn’t realise the washer/dryer cycle takes about 5 hours! They were from India so I am guessing too embarrassed to discuss their accident with a man. Then again they could have left $50 in the quilt I would find as well so I could pay for a replacement.

I had to ask people to fold down the doona/duvet/quilt cover so I know which beds they have slept in to wash and change the linens as some of them come from those bizarre countries where people just sleep under the quilt on top of the top sheet which is like totally cray cray and you can’t tell if they slept in it or not.

1 Like

My husband does this. He’s from England.

Sigh.

1 Like

Topsheets have passed out of common usage and so some people don’t understand what the top sheet does. I’m English and I prefer a top sheet between my body and the duvet cover. Nevertheless I wash everything everytime so it doesn’t matter where my guests sleep.

I reckon if you told your guests: oh you see that coverlet on the top of the bed- I don’t wash that each time, they’d be so quick to use the top sheet and ensure the cover doesn’t touch any part of their body.

I find it cray cray having a cover on the bed that isn’t cleaned between guests. Yuck.

Me too. But I also don’t get the top sheet thing. Wait … this sounds familiar. :slight_smile:

I already ask my guests so many questions about their preferences before they arrive that I simply am not asking if they want a top sheet [and then the ensuing discussion regarding what that means] or what kind of jam they want with their croissant. So, we make all beds with a top sheet, and if they don’t use it, what is the harm? And I put both kinds of jams out and pay attention to which one they use and replenish that one.

The same way hosts don’t seem to want too many questions, I don’t want to badger my guests-to-be either.

3 Likes

After the thorough (and hilarious!) topic here about duvets and top sheets, I started leaving a top sheet in the linen closet of the rental. It’s never been used and no-one has ever asked me for one.

1 Like

Yes not surprising. With the event of the duvet and duvet cover it kind of rendered the top sheet useless as a way to keep the coverlet/blankets clean. I like them because I get hot at night but I need the feeling of being covered while I’m trying to sleep. I kick the duvet off and just have the top sheet on those situations…and with my white sheets it is nice to have something next to the skin that can lessen tanning smears on the actual duvet cover. But no big deal to be honest

1 Like

No I just meant if people sleep under the duvet on top of the top sheet and then pull it up and tidy I can’t tell if someone slept in that bed or not because it is still tucked in. I don’t ask my guests their sleeping arrangements but don’t want to wash the sheets of beds they haven’t slept on. I could mention the “sniff test” but probably shouldn’t.

1 Like

I do the sniff test too :slight_smile:

Although I always wash everything on the bed after every guest, the sniff test can give a good insight into what has been going on. :wink:

My rental is a whole house with a washer and dryer. Got really suspicious when the guests said “we did the laundry!” One couple for two days (one night) used eight wash clothes. I’m thinking “sex towels”. Ewwwww.