A stripped bed means

Whenever a guest leave and a bed is stripped a certain way. It means to check for stains. I always have a bottle of Shout on each listing available to pre-treat. And yes the stains were found.

3 Likes

You should try OxyClean spray. It’s much better.

2 Likes

I notice they didn’t bother with the pillows …

Damn :frowning: You’re so right. I am always suspicious whenever someone strips the bed. It’s incredible, isn’t it? Do they really think you won’t notice??

4 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try it.

2 Likes

I leave the OxyClean with the other cleaning materials under the kitchen sink and - surprise, surprise - I’ve found that guests actually use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Each listing (I have two) have cleaning supplies. This one has all cleaning supplies in the bathroom closet. So parents can close the door and kids don’t get to it.

So true. Every single time the bed has been stripped there’s been staining to worry about. I would rather they left it on the bed so I didn’t have to hunt for stains…

3 Likes

I ask guests in the house manual (that they obviously read avidly from cover to cover - ha) not to strip the bed. However, I remember one lovely guest who stripped the bed but kindly put a sheet with a few minor bloodstains right on the top of the pile so I could see them and treat them. Far from hiding them, she was pointing them out to me, which I thought was quite considerate of her.

5 Likes

Finding a stripped bed means that the guests did exactly as directed.

We ask them not to bother making up the bed, and to throw the towels in a pile in the bathroom.

If you finding a stripped bed means stains of various kinds, perhaps you’re not attracting the right kind of guests.

1 Like

Seven years as an Airbnb host and hundreds of guests, stains happens. And it has nothing to do with the “right kind of guests.” But perhaps you’re right and I’m not attracting the right kind of guest.

What do you do to not get stains in your sheets?

3 Likes

I dunno. Of course “stains happen”. We have a couple bleach spot stains on our colored linens that just miraculously appeared when the sheets were pulled from the dryer one day.

But I keep reading these horror stories of liquid tan stains, and hair color stains, and menstrual stains, and makeup stains, and I can’t help wondering if it’s something that hosts are doing that attracts the kind of guests that would do those sorts of things… Or is it regional, cultural, guest age, or some other factor?

FWIW, here’s our listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9747142?

1 Like

@KenH. What do you offer on your international breakfast menu as a Chinese option? Do you make Jook, or have a rice with protein option?

Haven’t had any Asian guests, or even Asian-Americans; if I did, I would offer Jook/Rice Congee – I use mushrooms in my version along with the usual ginger and chicken and various toppings. Jook isn’t an easy dish to make for only one or two, or to make in a hurry. I would make it crockpot style the night before, for ease of prep.

Now that we’re out of season, I’m evaluating the currrent menu for cost effectiveness, time effectiveness, popularity, etc. The Anglo-American and Cajun Omelet are the most expensive (about $2.35- $2.50 for two) The Tortilla de Patata was very popular this year; the Breakfast Burrito least popular.

I’m considering adding Shakshuka (eggs poached in Ro*tel for simplicity), and some sort of “pancake”, probably Staffordshire Oat Cakes, which I can offer with sweet or savory fillings.

If I know that people have dietary issues, I prepare dishes to meet those issues – non-dairy “milk”, arepas (corn cakes) rather than wheat bread, non-pork meats, etc. Here’s our current menu:

Anglo-American
Two eggs, toast and chef-made marmalade, beans, sauteed mushrooms, bacon or sausage, red or green fried tomato.

Florida French
Thick-cut challah bread French toast with Florida handmade cane syrup, bacon or sausage, and a seasonal fruit cup

Breakfast Burrito
Large flour or corn tortilla filled with eggs, sauteed peppers & onions, and cheese. Served with red or green salsa and sour cream

Cajun Omelet
Three eggs filled with tangy Andouille sausage, shrimp, mushrooms and cheese; with a side of toast and chef-made marmalade

Southern 1
Biscuits and gravy with a fried ham slice, toast and chef-made marmalade

Southern 2
Creamy, dreamy, white cheesy grits with sausage or ham, and toast with chef-made marmalade

Scottish Borders
Scotch Eggs, steel-cut oatmeal, marmite soldiers and chef-made orange marmalade

Spanish Tortilla de Patata
Classic dish of fried potato slices and diced onion, smothered in beaten eggs, then finished in the oven.

Quiche Inna Cup
Well, a mug actually. Eggs, dairy, green onion, red bell pepper, and diced ham or bacon crumbles.

Breakfast Muffins To Go
Need to catch that early flight, or the Key West Express? These savory breakfast muffins are just the thing. Eggs, meat, cheese and condiments all-in-one, with flavors you know and love.

4 Likes

I’m definitely staying with you if I’ve ever up your way. I think I remember that you once told me that you’d make beans on toast for me (which I love) but seeing tortillas and arepas and wow, chef-made marmalade, I might have to stay for ages just so I can sample everything!

My other half would love the Marmite soldiers too. (Dreadful stuff) :wink:

3 Likes

Sure, beans and toast are a staple here! Com on D-O-W-N as they say! We had a couple from Hollywood come for the weekend.

Chef-made marmalade takes 10-15 minutes; works with any citrus:
For a pint of marmalade chop up, 1 Grapefruit; or 1 Lemon 1, Lime, 1 Orange; or 3 Blood Oranges, etc. Skin, pith, seeds, everything – throw it in a food processor and whirrr it until it sorts looks like marmalade – small bits of skin.

Measure into a microwave safe glass bowl, and stir in the same measure of sugar (or Splenda) Any kind of sugar except confectioner’s; but no liquid sweetners (it’s a bulk thing). Taste. Too sweet, add half a lemon or lime pureed; too tart add a bit more sugar.

Microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir and taste. Microwave for another 5 minutes; then scoop into screw-top jars and let cool, uncovered, on the counter, before refrigerating. Will last until you finish eating it!

3 Likes

This really needs its own thread… perhaps the “Other B” thread started last year. I am fascinated by your choices and how you manage both the ingredients and offerings. Do you ask people to order their breakfast(s) before they arrive so you have the correct ingredients on hand? Do both people have to order the same thing? Do you have a time range that you are willing to deliver their breakfast? How do you keep the eggs warm as they make their way to the cabana? If they can have it delivered at any time, how do you have a personal or professional life outside of AirBNB?

I offer breakfast, but not a made-to-order one and it would not be considered more than a continental-style meal. I do get a lot of positive feedback, so I am not feeling any pressure to do made-to-order, but am trying to imagine how this works.

I send guests the menu when their booking is confirmed and ask them to give me at least the first couple breakfast choices at least a week early “so I can shop ahead and stock up for your visit”. I have each breakfast priced out and I keep track of food costs for tax purposes.

When the guests arrive I ask them what time they would like breakfast served during their stay. Only occasionally does the time change from day to day. 99% of the people want breakfast between 8 and 9 AM.

None of the menu items takes me more than 30 minutes to prepare from scratch. I have an extensive spice rack and reasonable pantry.

It’s a Breakfast For Two menu – both people get the same thing. I’ve served breakfast as early as 7AM and as late as 11AM. Also Breakfast Muffins made the night before, if they are leaving very early.

I’m up at 6AM getting Sally off to work anyway. She still works as a Clinical Pharmacist for the local VA center.

I have an electric warming tray, plus the cabana is literally only a dozen steps (I just counted) outside the back slider door to the lanai.

I DO have a personal and professional life outside of making breakfast and cleaning the cabana. I am a Personal Chef, writer/novelist, folk musician, and I build and sell small things from wood. Sally and I love to travel and enjoy spending a day at the beach, a good movie or play or concert. She owns the property, but I do 85% of the work on the Listing.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for all of this information!

1 Like

Wow - did you need a permit from the city to provide food? Here in NY if you cook for your guest then you’re considered a hotel and will be taxed accordingly and will need a commercial kitchen, etc.

Also, besides the cost of food, which you’re keeping track of, what about your time. I’m about to release a podcast episode about how much is that guest costing you.

I think I want to interview some hosts. But yeah I want to stay there and have a delicious breakfast.

2 Likes